Coconut Milk Caramel Sauce – 2 Ways – Cinnamon or Salted Caramel
Write a review
- 4 cans organic full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups organic raw coconut sugar
- A 2-inch piece of cinnamon stick, OR 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten free vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) best quality sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- In a medium-large (6-quart) pot, combine the milk, sugar and cinnamon stick OR salt (whichever you are using) and set over medium heat. Stir regularly until the milk comes to a simmer (all the sugar should have dissolved by this point). Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the dissolved baking soda—it will foam up. Continue stirring. When the bubbles subside, return the pot to the heat.
- Adjust the heat to maintain the mixture at a brisk simmer (too high and the mixture will boil over; too low and the cooking time will seem interminable). Cook, stirring regularly, until the mixture turns pale golden, more or less one hour.
- Now, begin stirring frequently as the mixture colors to caramel-brown and thickens to the consistency of maple syrup (you’ll notice the bubbles becoming larger and glassier). Stir regularly so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. Test a couple of drops on a room temperature plate: When cool, the sauce should be the consistency of a medium-thick caramel sauce. If the cooled sauce is thicker (almost like caramel candy), stir in a tablespoon or so of water and remove from the heat; if too runny, keep cooking.
- If doing salted caramel version, add the vanilla now and combine well. If necessary, pour the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl or a wide-mouth storage jar. When cool, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Warming the sauce before serving makes it super yummy. Try it over coconut ice cream or my flourless chocolate almond cake.
- The sauce keeps for a month or more in the refrigerator. Keep it tightly covered to keep it from absorbing other flavors.
Michele Gelman Wellness https://www.michelegelmanwellness.com/